Tuesday, June 7, 2005

Hot Fun in the Summertime

It's summer again.

It can reach 90 degrees in April and October, but the true sign of summer is outdoor domestic violence incidents.

I'm a single mom (2 year old boy) who lives on the ground floor on a quiet street dead-ended by a Catholic Church. Normally the nights are silent, after the few kids are called in from their skateboarding.

I was snuggled on the mattress on the floor watching my now-sacred hour of tv after my kid's asleep, when right outside my window, I heard banging, crashing of garbage cans, a baby crying, a child crying, and 2 or 3 people running. Some women yelled frantic profanities.

"You dare bring this trash inside my house?" my next door neighbor, Mindy, yelled.

Something like, "I'm the man here--I can do whatever...!" was yelled back.

I stayed in bed. You never know what anyone is packing these days. And if anything can make anyone crazy, it's family.

The police came. I didn't hear them pull up, but I heard their police radios for about a half hour.

When I got up this morning, the garbage cans had been knocked over.

I hate living by myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment