Tuesday, July 5, 2005

What Is Wrong with Toughness Contests?

A toughness contest is just what it sounds like. It starts out with someone saying, "If you were tough, you'd understand..." or "But have you ever had a dead rat left on your doorstep?"

And then someone else says, "I so too have been oppressed..." or "I do so understand..." "You don't know what I've been through..." etc., etc., etc...

I have news for you. Actual really tough people, who have been through the shit, who have been in war, or concentration camps, or almost killed, etc. don't bring this up with strangers on the internet. They don't want to talk about it, to explain it, to relive it, to think about it, especially not with people they don't know.

Not that these people are completely pent up. They will share experiences with people who share similar ones. They can talk in their own slang, and talk about details surrounding the experience. My dad, for example, is a tough guy, (WWII) and would talk to me about waking up on the beach in Okinawa with a large rat looking at him, inches from his face, as the body parts washing up on shore.

Toughness contests are just whiney, man. When they come up, I just find a nice way to walk away.

1 comment:

  1. That's nothing, my dad...

    It's old, old story of empty barrel syndrome. I wholeheartedly agree that if someone starts spewing bullshit, it's best to move away to avoid being splattered.

    ReplyDelete