Saturday, October 1, 2005

Office Love Pt. 3

M_ was about 6' tall, but his curly, bleached corporate mohawk/mullet put him about 6'3. I recognized him from around the office. I said I had tried to say hi when I saw him pass, but he said he probably hadn't noticed because he was running to the library to do cocaine.
The big "test" the first day was a "Bates Motel" towel in the bathroom. Having dried my hands on it, I came out of the bathroom to say that I had just made a Bates Motel shower curtain for my mom over the summer. At that moment I was designated a "keeper." And I was at their place every weekend.

We watched video from their huge collection. They tried to convince me to love Star Trek. It was basically a tv party all weekend long, peppered with sex games between me and my boyfriend. But M__ and I started talking and laughing. Our eyes locked more and more often. And while we both liked his roomie, we both quietly agreed he was a bit of a fool. Then he got tickets to see Dennis Leary on the same night as Star Trek 6 would open. He asked me to go, he said, so that there was no way anyone could convince to go see that dumb movie on opening night. I said I'd go with him, as friends.

But the magnetic pull was too strong. One night, our eyes locked once again. M__ sent his roomie out for cat food. Once his roomie was out the door, I stood next to his chair, and put my hands on his shoulders. He reached up, and touched my face. I leaned down and we kissed.

Two minutes later we were making decisions. I would have to tell his roomie it was over. He would have to get his roomie drunk. I would have to end it with my other boyfriends at work too. (I didn't mention them? They were nice guys, but not important to this story).

When the roomie came back, I took him to his room, and we sat cross-legged on his bed, facing each other. I said something like, "It's hard for me to tell you this, but me and M_ decided we want to be together."

And he said, "Oh, that's okay. We can share you. I'm open to that."

I was so shocked, I think my mind shut down for a second. I said, "No, I mean, we really like each other, and we really want to be together--just us."

M_ walked me to the train. I called my friend, Charles, and told him I was upset. Charles came over, and I cried on his shoulder, and asked himif I did the right thing. Charles took me by the shoulders, and said, "I am Spock of this situation, and you did the right thing."

M_ turned out to be the love of my life, and we were together for 2.5 years. It took me ten years and two ex-husbands to get over the guy. How did I know I was over him? Just a gut feeling that my travels were over, and like Odysseus I had made it home.

No comments:

Post a Comment