Thursday, January 4, 2007

An End to the Death Penalty

America is at an all time low for executions. Great. But we are still wasting tons of money on judges, lawyers, executioners, etc. I don't think people who are in for horrible crimes are worth my tax dollars. I have a new solution: the re-institution of slavery. I'm not talking about horrible, horrible spirit-killing stuff. Just to make the people in jail to work as hard as our grandparents and great-grandparents worked. For no pay. (Just like the immigrant great grandparents.)
I mean, wouldn't it just take the coolness out of jail if no one had the time to work out, etc., but instead had to work as farmers and as shoe-factory employees for fifteen hours a day for the rest of their lives? And if you misbehave, you get worse: cleaning bathrooms, sewers, etc. Everyone should be too tired to even consider rape.
I suppose if the system worked well enough, it could pay for itself--or even pay America back for the money we've already wasted.

2 comments:

  1. dear Suki, that's what happens in China.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I suppose so. My friend's husband had parents who were in one of the work camps in China. I think that work-prison should be a lot more humane, yet tiring. I know that I am tired after a full day at work. Why shouldn't someone who murdered a person be tired after a full day of work too?

    Speaking of China: China, Saudi Arabia, Iraq and the United States are the only countries that have capital punishment. Nice to know we have so much in common with these leaders in human rights.

    ReplyDelete