Saturday, December 10, 2005

Reproducibility

My dad, an engineer, always got on my case about reproducibility and consistency in my art and writing when I was a kid. He would basically tell me that if I couldn't make work of the same quality and style over and over again that I was not a real artist and writer, my stuff would never be salable--I would never be paid for my work.
That is probably not a fair standard for a child or teen, who is exploring different media, learning how it all works, and making mistakes.
Having been in editorial, I have to say it is true in the adult world of writing and illustration. You basically have to be able to churn out the same good stuff in the same style over and over again--give them what they bought or thought they bought when they saw your samples.
I remember one day at Marvel we got in some pages from an artist, and the editor flipped out. He was pink with rage--which was very difficult as he was a dark Italian man--and on the phone immediately. "I paid you to draw like you!" he yelled, "and not practice being Steve Ditko ON MY TIME!" I looked at the art--it did look like Ditko had done it, and not like the rest of the book.
The same is true for editorial, of course. Readers come back to see the same thing all the time, and at the same intervals. I probably lost many readers when I was unable to write a daily blog anymore. And I probably lost even more when I switched from consistently writing about sex and love to other things. But what can I do? My work has always been a reflection of my feelings and my exploration of the world. I wonder how Charles Burns or Matt Groenig thinks about his work that makes him able to consistently churn out the same stuff?

3 comments:

  1. Still here, Sukes. But yes, of course we return for the naughty bits.

    I gave up on art when this idea, of reproducibility, took hold. It constricted me intellectually, I couldn't get over it, and it snuffed out whatever embers of talent I had before they could conflagrate (in my own estimation.) Unless you're really trying to cash in on the blog thing (haw), it can be whatever the hell -- and whenever the hell -- you want; and I think it should stay that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. soooo... You're an artist at marvel? I didn't catch that before... although, i've never been accused at being the most attentive person in existence.

    i'm geeking out thinking.. NEAT!!!

    I almost became a professional artist myself... but there were a few problems.. I ... can't draw. or paint.. or...well pretty much do anything an artist needs to be able to do.

    but... as a problem solver I think I can help you adress the question "but what can i do? my work as been a reflection of my feelings..."

    perhaps you could work only when you feel emotionally numb.. the work might come out dull but consistent.... For example, you could watch the horsewhisperer (not the whole thing, that would be too much) and then try and work. Or you oculd listen to about 15 minutes of Yanni. That should do it.

    that was a joke... at least an attempt at one.

    how in the world does one become consistent/reproducible at something as...whats the word? non-quantifiable? abstract? surreal? as art...

    okay great. now it's bothering me... I'll have to think on this...

    dammit Jim! I'm a scientist not an artist!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to correct something here: I was never an artist at the Outhouse of Ideas. I wrote one story, which I now regret, I wrote promotional materials, and I was a paste-up person and an intern. Sorry. No artist here.

    ReplyDelete